Friday, October 4, 2019

Amish Bread

Hello everyone.

Yesterday, I mentioned that I was headed to the kitchen to make some Amish bread.  Some may be wondering what it is.  It is a feeder that I stir every day and on the fifth day, I add more ingredients.  On the tenth day, I get to make bread. You are suppose to make one batch for yourself and then give the recipe and the starter to a friend. Most of my friends are tired of it, so I usually make three batches of bread.  And then give the baked bread to friends and family.

This is a sweet bread so I usually make it in smaller loaf pans.  Yesterday, I made banana nut bread.  It was just delicious.  I love it straight out of the oven.

The starter recipe is as follows....

Starter Amish Bread

1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3 cups all purpose flour, divided
3 cups sugar, divided
3 cups milk, divided

  1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.
  2. On days 2 through 4; stir starter with a spoon. Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Days 6 through 9; stir only.
  3. Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bread recipe. Store the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2).



Editor's Note:  Once you have made the starter, you will consider it Day One, and thus ignore step 1 in this recipe and proceed with step 2. You can also freeze this starter in 1 cup measures for later use. Frozen starter will take at least 3 hours at room temperature to thaw before using.



I have had this recipe for some time and I am not sure where it came from.  Maybe Allrecipes.com

I will try to post the banana nut recipe later in the weeks.

I hope everyone has a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment